5 Basic Steps to a Healthy New Smile!
- Your first appointment is a free of charge consultation. This is your time to sit and get acquainted with your denturist and discuss any questions or concerns you might have. If you decide to go ahead with the denture, we will take impressions of your mouth for your new denture. These impressions will be the fit of your top denture to the roof of your mouth and the fit of your lower denture to the bottom of your mouth. From these impressions we make models of your mouth in order to prepare for step two. On these models we will fabricate wax forms, which will be similar to what your new dentures will be shaped like. This appointment will last approximately 45-minutes.
- During step two we will place the wax rims in your mouth and obtain measurements for the fit of your top denture to your bottom denture (or natural teeth). This step is important so you can chew properly! We involve you in the decisions regarding the size, shape and color of your new teeth. It is important to give us an idea of what you want the appearance of your smile to be. It is recommended to bring a picture of you with your natural teeth. This appointment generally takes about 30-minutes.
- The third appointment is one of the most important for you to be an active part of. We will set up your new teeth in wax, which will enable you to see them while they can still be changed. This is what we call the try-in appointment. This is the time for you to view the size, shape, color and general appearance of your new smile. It also allows us to check the balance of your new denture(s) and make changes if necessary. If you have a best friend or spouse who will be looking at your smile a lot and who will be full of opinions when you go home with your new dentures, bring them with you! At this time, you can let us know if there are any changes you would like us to make to your denture. This is important to help us obtain the smile you desire. By letting us know what you would like your smile to look like, we can do our best to create it for you. This appointment normally lasts about 30 min.
- This is the day you go home with your new smile! Just remember that this is the beginning, not the end. Many people have been wearing the same set of dentures for more than 5 years, some often more than 20 years. It takes time to become accustomed to eating with your new teeth and patience is a virtue. We are here to help you and encourage you to call if there are any problems or questions that arise.
- The post insert appointment allows the denturist to check the status of your mouth and verify how you have adapted to your new dentures over the last week. We are here to help you and encourage you to call if there are any other problems or questions that arise. Follow-up adjustments are always at no charge if they are needed, as is guidance and help.
IMPORTANT:For our patients who are wearing existing dentures, please do not use Fixodent or any adhesive on your dentures the day you come in for your appointment at New England Denture Center.